Friday, February 25, 2011

La Chureca

Today I’ve been thinking a lot about my last and only other trip overseas.  A drastically different experience than this trip. I know this is a blog about this adventure, but I wanted to share a little bit about that one.  So last summer I took 1 week off of work and spent it in the city dump of Managua, Nicaragua. When I first decided to go and gave my deposit I hadn’t even yet mentioned it to my family, coworkers, or had any idea how I was going to pay for it..  I didn’t have any friends going and had never in my life stepped foot out of the country. I just knew this was something I needed to do. Similar to this trip I had no idea what to expect, and any preconceived ideas I did have before arriving were blown away by what I saw and experienced there.  Essentially there is a community of over 800 people that wake up every single morning with no hope of a better life. They spend every day women and children included digging through the trash to find anything of value. Food, shelter, recycling for money, anything.  
While the extreme poverty was overwhelming the poverty of the mind was the most heartbreaking. Although Most of the adults have no resources to dig their way out they at least recognize the situation that they are in and long for a better life.  The children on the other hand often seemed content since the time they were born they have never known any other life.  You can literally feel the darkness over this place. Which is why although the trip itself to those that were not on it seemed non-traditional since we didn’t build or bring anything, was never the less powerful.  Simply giving a hug to a little girl, and having no idea when the next time she would be shown any affection again moved me to tears.  This insignificant significant moment impacted me.  Ultimately having to pull her off of me made me realize that no matter what your life story is, love is universal. To a little girl that didn’t need shoes, didn’t need toys, didn’t need snacks, she knew somewhere inside that needed love.  
"Surely children weren't made for the streets and fathers were not made to leave, surely this isn't how it should be... but i will live to carry on compassion, to love a world thats broken." -Power of your name by Lincoln Brewster

1 comment:

  1. Ugh... I bet you think about those people a lot. How powerful it must have been to have given a little bit (or a lot a bit) of yourself to them, selflessly. I really speaks volumes that faith and love are the two greatest, non-tangible gifts to give.

    Good for you, sweetie:) You've always had a huge heart!

    ReplyDelete